Plan B Blog Quotes

"I'm talking about an ice-nine event that radically and almost spontaneously alters our upward trajectory of standard-of-living."
(take me to that blog)

"We are overly dependent on frail things."
(take me to that blog)

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Even Paranoia Needs A Little Time Off

Please follow the Smith Family Alaskan Adventure from Jun 19 - 28.

I was born and raised in Fairbanks, leaving there in 1970 to move to a much smaller state. I haven't been back since. Finally, after 39 years, I'm returning and bringing the Clark H Smith Family of Wife and Children with me.

Alaska is a very odd place (in the context of this blog). It is remote and rugged - and so are the people. If ever there were a state with an exceptionally high percentage of people capable of surviving when the grid goes down - it is Alaska. On the other hand, Alaska has almost exclusively been populated, cultivated, mined, bored, and processed for the sake of the grid! Gold in the late 1800s and oil in the late 1900s has kept Alaska from being a mere asterisk on the map. Wild people went to wild Alaska to extract from it the resources in highest demand by those living on the grid elsewhere.

I hope you'll stop by our live blog often and see what The Great Land is like in the early 2000s.

1 comment:

  1. Only a Smith spends summer vacation in AK! Have fun guys, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete