Plan B Blog Quotes

"I'm talking about an ice-nine event that radically and almost spontaneously alters our upward trajectory of standard-of-living."
(take me to that blog)

"We are overly dependent on frail things."
(take me to that blog)

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Once Derided, Soon Desired

In the foregoing posts, I have opined that a TEOTWAWKI event would drive American society backwards to a pre-Industrial Revolution quality of life. Your survival would be based solely on your ability to provide food, shelter, and clothing (hereinafter F/S/C) FOR yourself, BY yourself. It is a pessimistic view and not a pretty one. I admit all that.'

Along the way, a very bright young man (who runs
a nice blog) who follows my blog asked (in paraphrase) why am I chronicling my own efforts to survive while escaping everyone else and the perils that befall them in the crumbling "civilized" world. He suggested I should be doing something to help city-dwellers rather than escape them.

It's an excellent point.

My response is that the very nature of (large) cities (in one of which I live) is that a SHTF even would render them complete useless and there would be no way to sustain life there over the long run. We are at a disadvantage with regard to very idea of self-suficiency / sustainability. "Disadvantage"? That's nowhere near strong enough. (Sub)urbanites are completely incapable of providing F/S/C for ourselves.

Into the abyss steps an man with a
website and a solution. In short, "MEG Raven" (website owner / editor / author) proposes organizing a sustainable community in advance of SHTF. I totally (TOTALLY) agree with this assessment of the best-case scenario for surviving a TEOTWAWKI event. Read this article carefully. The website author is trying to provide a forum for the organization of sustainable communities. I'll be watching this site carefully.

Be sure that you have read
Magnum Opus (Part 1.a) and note what I say about Nahalal.

1 comment:

  1. It's not necessarily the same thing, but something similar is being tried in New Hampshire. Are you familiar with the Free State Project?

    ReplyDelete