Plan B Blog Quotes

"I'm talking about an ice-nine event that radically and almost spontaneously alters our upward trajectory of standard-of-living."
(take me to that blog)

"We are overly dependent on frail things."
(take me to that blog)

Monday, May 18, 2009

A Call to Arms

I'm sorry to all for my low output lately. Spring has sprung and with all the birdies, bunnies, and blooms I've forgotten that we are in dire peril of losing our freedoms as independent people. I've gotten engaged in some interesting conversations lately. I was told a month ago that the US military / government has first dibs on the first three months of firearm production each year. That doesn't make any sense to me, but the guy who said it could gun me down from Indiana where he lives (and me here in Kansas) so I offer no stern rebuke. Governments work on contracts, not calendars. They buy a few hundred thousand rifles when they need them, not because it's Groundhog Day. On the other hand, this annual buy-up could explain in part why there is a world-wide (as if the French were buying anything) constipation in gun distribution.
More recently, I was asking a charming old coot who runs the register in Bass Pro Shop's gun department where my 5000 rounds of 9mm ammo was (ordered (now backordered) online). For his protection, I won't name him (and because he instantly became THE charter member of the CHS PLAN B fan club), but he said that the first three month's of each year's ammo production is federalized. That makes a little more sense since bullets are a consumable that (until recently) one would assume the go'ment would place on a regular order. I reckon the boys in camo could go through as much ammo in three months as the rest of the gun toting world would go through in nine.

It also harmonizes with another reality. On the first Tuesday of NOvember (sic), enough acorn-inebriated votes pulled the left lever and got all the change they asked for - unfortunately, so did the rest of us. Until that very moment, the US had just enough guns and bullets to get us through Christmas. However, seeing the ghetto graffiti on the wall, sane second-amendmentists got out their neon orange credit cards and hit their favorite wilderness outfitters like there was no tomorrow... which there may not be if the next 1100 days continue like BHO's first 100 days. Guns and bullets are hard to find - especially bullets. WalMart (which accounts for almost one fifth Remington's total revenue) stays sold out of ammo. Bass Pro and Cabela's get in "regular shipments", but the quantity is consumed faster than crab legs at a Chinese buffet. The Hussein2 run on ammo synchronizes with the annual federal conscription of ammo production. Right now, the Second Amendment only gives us the right to bare arms... I just made that up.

My embedded Bear Arms agent at Bass Pro (on a solid tip from his ammo co rep) assures me that the shelves will be normally stocked by mid-summer. Factory trucks will be headed to the suburbs once again and all the "buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep" crowd probably will have spent their five year allocation of ammo funds. The rest of us can get out our little plastic money chips with pictures of our cats on them and start buying ammo like there was no ten-years-from-now. Everything will be fine then.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be honest. I've never seriously considered purchasing a firearm, but you've gotten me thinking about it enough that I'm mildly considering it, while I still can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're posting again. I almost smiled yesterday, but you've brought me back to grim reality.

    ReplyDelete